1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Broadband For Guildford?

Discussion in ‘Geek Corner‘ started by SurreyGrouch, 8 Aug 2011.

1. SurreyGrouch

SurreyGrouch Surrey Resident (new)

So far I’ve only tried Virgin… oh dont every try to contact them peek hours

I’m on their 50mb xxl package at £25 per month, yet feel like I’m still on dial up!

Anyone got a better broadband provider in Guildford that actually provides what they advertise?
  2. J_D

J_D Surrey Resident

Interesting I’m also on their 50Mb/s connection. I’ve never noticed a slowing in connection, we’ve been on the package for a year now. We reliably get 40+Mb/s down and nearly 4-5Mb/s up. If you are really crawling get discounts off them!!!
  3. SurE

SurE Surrey Resident

Surrey county Council was awarded more then £1.3 Million pounds to ensure coverage for supper fast broadband over Surrey by 2013. This money will cover the rural areas that BT haven’t covered thoroughly

I think that the councils target for speed is considerably low. While other areas in the North are targeting a speed of 1000Mbps to try to achieve the "best in Europe" by 2013:

Surrey County Council seem to be setting their sights at 100Mbs (10 times slower than the B4RN project).

However, giving faster access to the rural part for Surrey is a good initiative and one I fully support.

So, if you do live in one of the more rural areas Grouch, it might be worth taking a look at Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK), and find out when they plan to cover you
    For other areas (this is by no means an exclusive list), a few of the options for Surrey are listed below:

Sky advertise up to 20Mb (unlimited) (£5/Month)
    Talk Talk advertise up to 24Mb (£7.25/Month)
    BT advertise up to 20 Mb (£7.00/Month)
    Orange advertise up to 20 Mb (£7.50/Month)
    Plusnet advertise up to 20 Mb (£6.49/Month)
    [You’ll have to check the site for current prices, since the offers above may change in the near future]

You can also run this speed check and then compare what other people are using in your area and what speeds they are getting:
    http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/