1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest,
    Please note, this area is for “General Things To Do In Surrey”
    If you have an event (with a date) or you’re looking for events in Surrey,
    try the Surrey Events Section

Eating out in Guildford Best Fish and Chips in Guildford?

Discussion in ‘Eating out in Surrey‘ started by SurE, 27 Aug 2011.

1. SurE

SurE Surrey Resident

Who do you think does the best fish and chips in Guildford?

I’ve tried
    The 3 Pigeons: ***
    It wasn’t bad, served with mushy peas ;)

The Royal Oak: ****
    They have good big chunky chips, and the batter was great

The Keystone: **
    Not my favourite, they served it with coleslaw???
    Mike224 likes this.
  2. john66

john66 Surrey Resident

I really like the Royal Oak’s fish and chips as well, I’d recommend it anytime.
    I went to the White House recently (7-11 High Street) and tried theirs (photo below). My first thoughts were that it was a bit pretentious sounding (London Haddock something something) and slightly pricey (just under £10) but the batter was good and the bearnaise sauce home-made and pretty tasty. They did not serve it with mushy peas but with crushed garden peas which were actually much nicer! Good chips too, so overall I’d recommend it if the Royal Oak is full!
    fish and chips The White House.jpg
    Mike224 likes this.
  3. pauline

pauline Surrey Resident (new)

I went to Coal the other day (top end of the High street, just after the Grammar school) and tried their Beer battered Cod and chips. Now, I know this is a restaurant and not a pub, so for purists out there it might be considered blasphemy ;) but it was seriously good! I’m not very keen on heavy greasy batter crust, so it might be what did it for me – the batter was really light and thin, so the fish (cod) was still very tender but did not have that deep fried look and taste about it (on the other hand, this might not work for the true fan of the crispy batter). Quite a good looking dish as well and reasonably priced (around £10).
    Fish and chips COAL.jpg
    Mike224 likes this.
  4. Wednesday Adams

Wednesday Adams Surrey Resident (new)

Harvester suprisingly have really nice fish and chips – they do prawns too which are some of the tastiest i’ve had! :)
    Mike224 likes this.