Bullying in the workplace

Discussion in ‘General Discussions‘ started by shaun.miskelly, 22 Jul 2013.

1. shaun.miskelly

shaun.miskelly Surrey Resident (new)

I have worked at an SEN school in Addlestone for almost 6 years in the capacity of Tutor, Premises Manager and Contractor. Up until my employment with this school i have always had my own business so workplace bullying was something that i was totally unfamiliar with.
    My introduction to it was quite gradual, comments from staff upset by the way they were being treated or spoken to by the powers that be, i just dismissed as the rantings of an oversensitive, slightly insecure employee. However, these comments of upset became more regular and more focused from a select group of staff and i began to ‘see’ the possibility of something more malicious. The staff members were all veterans. A couple with almost 20 years service at the school, and as the school was going through a radical ‘regeneration of positive change’ i began to notice what i would describe as a ‘metaphoric ‘culling’ of old teachers with old ways. These old school teachers, (already overworked) were given hugely increased workloads that, in my view, was deliberately set to make them fail.
    From conversation with 7 teaching staff over the years a pattern seemed to emerge;
    Increased workload that was impossible for them to cope with.
    A deep sense of failure and immense stress wichh eroded their confidence and self esteem.
    A sense of isolation from younger more dynamic staff
    Constant reminders from senior management of their ‘failings’.
    Mental health issues such as anxiety, depression and breakdown.
    A feeling that they were being ‘squeezed’ out and encouraged to resign or take early retirement.
    (which 4 teaching staff have done so far).
    In my view, someone who has committed decades of their life to the education and care of kids with SEN, and have made such a huge emotional, professional and personal investment in their vocation, in such a way i know all these teachers have, should certainly not be treated in such a way by the cold desire of ambition and personal recognition by senior managers and school governors.
    The bullying that takes place is subtle, unseen by the naked eye and designed to create a ‘them and us’ dynamic – a divide and conquer management style that creates victims but seemingly no perpetrator.
    There are still staff that are the target of this bullying at the school. The last conversation i had with one of these teachers led to her breaking down in fear and despair. My thoughts are with her constantly.
    All this happens within our schools, instigated by people responsible for the education of our children. What message are they sending out?
    The workplace of the 21st century is surely about success through cooperation, shared vision, peer support
    and commitment to do ones best. This can only be achieved if the captain at the helm knows his crew, their strengths and weaknesses, their motivational drivers, their goals, their ambitions and has the insight and empathy to bring these qualities and strengths to the fore. True success is creating success for your staff and riding the crest of their wave. But then, only true leaders would see that.
    Bullying is such that the bullies live a life of denial, they have a tendency to only see the failings in others. and how ‘others’ failings impede their own success, with that perspective their are no colleagues struggling in the workplace, just enemies and obsticles in the path to success and excellence.
    Thats just my opinion!
  2. Maria Babiak

Maria Babiak Surrey Resident (new)

I witnessed colleagues being bullied and had a tough time getting the management to do anything about it. Finally, the issue was addressed but it took a long time. I was bullied in another company and people who witnessed it would not come forward when I wanted to complain. because they were scared. In the end, I had to be moved. Frustrating.
  3. poleski11

poleski11 Surrey Resident (new)

Thanks for bringing this issue to the forefront. You extremely rarely hear about this side of the coin – it’s always about kids being bullied at school, rather than teachers. I was bullied as a school kid and I know how terrible that can seem at the time, so in no-way am I belittling the plight. But it’s very good to gain an understanding about the concerns that you have mentioned in your post here, thanks.
  4. Maria Babiak

Sadly, it happens a lot in the work place. I made a complaint and now I’m being ostracised. We don’t have a recognised union so apart from leaving, not much I can do. People are so scared, they don’t want to be seen talking to me and people who have witnessed the bullying don’t want to become involved. Pathetic really. Thank goodness I have extra curricular activities and good friends outside of work.
  5. William Lacey Group

William Lacey Group Surrey Resident (new)

Woking in a professional business, reports of bullying should be taken very seriously, I am sure that if it was not, there could be serious consequences for the company if taken further or reported to a higher authority, if it was not dealt with in a professional manner and quickly and if you was to mention any sort of escalation in this above the company they would pull their fingers out and deal with it quickly. If you are not happy with the way a problem is being dealt with, go higher.
  6. Maria Babiak

I went as high as I could and nothing was done. I left in the end. Sadly management and HR just wanted to bury their heads.
  7. calljoe

calljoe Surrey Resident (new)

I worked in retail for five years as a shop manager, it was a small business with only a few staff, myself and the owner. we had a large turnover of staff on an consistent basis, being the manager I was frequently told it was my responsibility and that most of the time it was fault these people were leaving. Most of the people that left never gave notice so I didn’t get chance to find out what there grievance was, but as time went buy I worked out that it was in fact the owners bullying that drove them away.
    I challenged him on the matter and from that day on I was the target of his bullying, this was consistent & wholly unfair, he didn’t have any regard for me or anybody else’s feelings & regally berated me to customers and suppliers.
    My conclusion is that some people are natural bully’s and they will always hurt people for there own satisfaction, so I left this employment and started my company doing something I am good at and enjoy.
    My advice to any one being bullied is to walk away, don’t rise to it or try to reason with the bully, they won’t change and they will only consider your challenges as a weakness that they can use against you, challenging them could also compound the way you feel & make things a whole lot worse, so walk away & leave, once you are away from them things soon get back to normal & life is a whole lot more enjoyable again.

Good luck to anybody finding them selves in this unfortunate position.

Joe

www.calljoe.co.uk
    Andrew Boast likes this.
  8. Maria Babiak

Well done for getting out of it and good luck to anyone suffering with bullying
  9. Andrew Boast

Andrew Boast Surrey Resident (new)

Bullying is endemic in society at all levels. It’s great now that at least people are trying to come to terms with it and discuss it publicly.
    The evil that comes from it spreads in all sorts of nasty ways because the fear and anger caused in someone bullied will often come out. Equally people bullied may well bully themselves (though hopefully not so the cycle is broken).
    My advice is whenever it’s possible to resist it, one should but sometimes you just have to leave a situation, if that’s possible and move to pastures new, as a poster above indicated.
    My greatest sympathy is for those trapped in a bullying situation and my hope is that they can break out of it.