Surrey Buying Local in Surrey

Discussion in ‘Surrey Forums & Surrey Discussions‘ started by Sally.H, 16 Nov 2011.

?

Do you buy local or buy from large superstores/chains?

1. I buy from superstores/chains because it’s more convenient

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  2. I buy from superstores/chains because it’s cheaper

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. I buy from superstores/chains because it’s better quaility

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I buy from superstores/chains and I’m ashamed, I’ll try harder to buy local

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. I buy Local because I like to support my community

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  6. I buy Local because it’s better quaility

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  7. I buy Local because of the better service

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I buy from superstores, but would prefer to buy local if I had the choice

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Sally.H

Sally.H Surrey Resident (new)

I’ve seen the adverts on lots of shop windows in Guildford and I think it’s a shame not to point them out. Recently I have been thinking about making more of an effort to buy local, and thinking carefully about where I shop. Not just for foods, but for as much as I possibly can.

There are so many local shops being push out of the way by large supermarkets/chains, but I would love to see more local shops doing well, rather than hearing about how the supermarkets are making record profits.

I love the local restaurants and shops, it gives so much character to a city, and makes it a joy to live in a community where people own their own businesses and trade with each other. I would love to see more local butchers / fish mongers / delicatessens, and less chains and supermarkets.

I also find customer service from local businesses to be better (especially if its a family business), there is often much more diversity in products, the quality is often of a higher standard, and by buying local you’re supporting people in the local community.

I really wish that more of us could support local shops and help improve our community, I’m defiantly going to try harder to buy local in Surrey
    JohnH, Mike224 and JR. like this.
  2. sandra

sandra Surrey Resident (new)

For many things unfortunately there isn’t a choice but to shop at a chain store. For instance I buy fresh veg at the farmer’s market, but for the rest of my food shopping I have to go to what’s available in town, which are chain food stores. The same goes for clothing and shoes.

There is more choice on the other hand when it comes to restaurants/pubs – I rarely eat at chains. I also recently discovered a lovely locally run art shop I plan to spend a lot of time at.

I am rather new to Guildford, is there a list of locally run businesses anywhere I can find?

None of the above answers really apply to me so I haven’t answered. I end up shopping at chain stores because I have no other choice that I’m aware of, but I’d rather support local shops.
  3. Sally.H

Sally.H Surrey Resident (new)

(I can’t figure out how to add extra options, can an admin add an extra choice, if possible: I buy from superstores, but would prefer to buy local if I had the choice)

The farmer’s market is great, you can actually taste the tomatoes, and the sweet corn is fresh!
    I think we do need a list of all the Local Business in Guildford

What’s the name of the art shop?
  4. sandra

It’s called the Guildford Art Centre, on Quarry Street.
  5. Maria

Maria Surrey Resident

I also get my veg from the farmer’s market and wish there was more alternative out there to the big supermarkets (although I must confess I like Mark and spencers and Waitrose in terms of the food quality). But I suspect the open air farmers market closes during the winter months – doesn’t it?
  6. pauline

pauline Surrey Resident (new)

Well done for this great initiative Sally! I think a list of local business is a great idea. To be honest this is the idea behind the business directory on this forum, so if you know any local businesses out there whom you wish to add to the directory list, go for it ;) hopefully it will help them gain exposure and get more business from local people.
  7. sandra

Anyone have advice for a good locally run hair salon??
    Mike224 likes this.
  8. pauline

Good question :) I’m afraid I don’t yet know any local hairdresser I could recommend in Guildford (but I’m still looking!). I know it’s a chain, but I went to Regis Salon recently in Friary centre, and it was a fairly good cut and reasonably priced.
    Mike224 likes this.
  9. Maria

Maria Surrey Resident

Hi! A friend of mine recently recommended Harringtons Hair and Beauty, they are just behind the station, on Guildford Park Road. Their price list is fairly standard and a cut and blow-dry is around £40… Not exactly cheap but sadly it’s hard to find quality haircuts at a cheaper price! Anyway if you’re interested their website is www.harringtonsofguildford.co.uk :)
    sandra likes this.
  10. sandra

I’ve been buying art supplies at a locally run family shop called "Dome" in Guildford. Today I popped over to buy some paint and found a sign on the door saying they can no longer operate their family business due to the current financial situation. I am quite sad about this :( – it was a nice shop with a good selection.
  11. sandra

Just checked Dome today and there is a new sign – it says there is a staff shortage but will be open again! So it’s not closed down afterall.
    pauline likes this.
  12. pauline

This is great news! It’s always sad when a local business closes…
  13. sandra

I tried to contact Dome today to see if they needed a volunteer to help man the shop but their website is not working and the email address I had for them bounced back!
    Mike224 likes this.
  14. pauline

I’m not surprised, i tried to have a look at their website the other day and it was already down… Well, if you manage to speak to them (and if you want to!), you could always suggest to them to add their business to the free business directory on surreyforum if they think it might be useful, so they can have a web based point of contact with their customers at least?
    Mike224 likes this.
  15. Harriet Tipping

Harriet Tipping Surrey Resident (new)

I buy our fresh fruit and veg from our local farm shop in Lyne as the quality is so much than you get in a supermarket and its a nice friendly place to shop!
    Mike224 likes this.
  16. Les.B

Les.B Surrey Resident (new)

Hi there
    In this pole I miss one option , I use supermarkets and use local shops.
    I try to use local shops but around us there is limited choice of products so I have to use markets. i do try to support local businesses.
    Mike224 likes this.