1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excel Online Booking system

Discussion in ‘Geek Corner‘ started by Illumine Photos, 2 May 2013.

1. Illumine Photos

Illumine Photos Surrey Resident

Hello technical bods!

I am trying to set up an excel spread sheet to use as a booking system for a charity day on 17th June for Breakthrough For Breast Cancer at Great Fosters in Egham.

The problem is the link. Each time I add the url to my web page then click it downloads an unknown file and doesn’t open. Me thinks there is something I am missing. Is anyone able to help?

Site = work in progress but…. http://www.illuminephotos.com/charity.aspx

(it doesn’t have to be an excel spread sheet if you have an alternative?)
  2. Mike224

Mike224 Surrey Forum Admin Staff Member

Sorry, I’m not sure what’s happening with this one.

It looks like some internal redirect, or htaccess redirect? I can’t really tell what’s happening with that url alone

I’m not sure what the excel spread sheet has to do with anything?

Do you have some level of content editing on the site, or do you manually update the aspx files?
  3. Mike224

4. Illumine Photos

Hey Mike!

Even when I click the link above I get the same blank download. *scratches head in a non head lice kind of way*

I thought it was all going rather swimmingly. Serves me right for feeling smug!

I am wondering if there is a special bit of code I am missing that says I want to open the excel sheet? Not convinced though……I wonder if I set up a folder and put the link direct to the folder……nope – grrrr

Can you see the spread sheet via the link?
  5. Mike224

For the link above, there is a browser, application and to some extent, platform dependency.

Since it’s an excel document, if you have excel installed most browsers will try to launch excel.
    This will work fine in Google, and Firefox, but I.E .will throw a warning before opening it.

It opens correctly for me, since I have excel installed and I’m using Google chrome browser.

What browser (and platform) are you testing this on, I recommend trying testing it on a few
  6. Illumine Photos

Part of the problem then maybe that I have written it in Numbers on a Mac and then converted to Excel? Apple seems to be allergic to Excel when receiving it!

Browser = Safari & Firefox.

Bottom! :mad: Dead end grrrrr
  7. SeanMcK

SeanMcK Surrey Resident

Not sure if it helps but on my work machine (Excel installed, XP operating system, browser: Firefox) the Dropbox link opened in Excel as soon as I clicked on it.
  8. Illumine Photos

Ah thanks Mike and Sean!

Apparently I am leaving my site open to invasion with the Excel so I have been told to explore Google docs. Steep learning curve this week lol :) I may be back for more advice very soon….;)