1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firefox vs Chrome

Discussion in ‘Geek Corner‘ started by IanP, 17 Jan 2012.

1. IanP

IanP Surrey Resident

Hi all,

I am a bit of a computer noob but what operating system are people favouring at the moment? I currently use firefox but have heard that Chrome is safer and doesn’t crash. Is this true?

Which are you using?

I quite like my firefox but the pop ups do get irritating at times.
  2. Mike224

Mike224 Surrey Forum Admin Staff Member

Chrome …(But I keep and test on IE7, 8, 9, FF and Safari)

Have you seen the web stats for it in the UK?

A long time ago (about a year or so), I sent an email around work saying that Google Chrome would be the number 1 used browser by Mid 2012 …

;)

Well in the UK, it’s already happened:
    http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-GB-monthly-201012-201112

It still has a way to go, but I still stand by my original prediction Mid 2012:
    http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-ww-monthly-201012-201112

The best thing about FireFox was all of the plug-ins you could use, but the regular updates has left many plug-in designers heads spinning, while they try to catch up and support each version.

FireFox seems to be continuously buggy (but chrome isn’t perfect)

It’s no secret that a significant percentage of Mozilla’s income comes from Google
    Mozilla:98% revenue comes from Google and other search engine partners

But Google keep doing the honourable things (at least as far as the public mass is made aware of)
    Mozilla and Google Sign New Agreement for Default Search in Firefox
  3. JR.

JR. Surrey Resident

I love my FireFox, but chrome does feel a bit faster, the statcounter looks interesting…

Did you see the stats for China:
    http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-CN-monthly-201012-201112

They’re almost all completely Internet Explorer (a few are now defecting to Chrome), I’d never herd of Maxthon before
  4. SeanMcK

SeanMcK Surrey Resident

(Without meaning to come across as a pedant, you are comparing browsers, not operating systems).

I’m using Chrome on a Macbook. It FLIES. The Macbook also has Safari. Every now and again I fire Safari up and it quickly reminds me why I don’t use it as it’s totally clunky and sluggish, so I shut it and go back to Chrome. On my other laptop running Ubuntu I use something called Chromium which is a Chrome derivative and that is also lightening fast. I haven’t used IE for almost 10 years. Firefox always seemed like the next best thing until Chrome came along and blew it outta the water.
  5. Mike224

Mike224 Surrey Forum Admin Staff Member

The Chrome javascript engine (webkit) is what really helped Chrome (although I think all of the browsers have been making improvements to the js engines ever since Chrome was introduced)

Yes, there were so many people that belived "they would never stop using FireFox" because they had favourite plug-ins / liked the style, sadly I think FF lost many of those users by forcing them to update / changing the UI and making many of the "favourite" plug-ins incompatible. I hope the Mozilla foundation sticks around for quite some time, but I have a feeling this is going to be a two "man" race soon, with Chrome delivered on various platform from users choice, and IE sticking around bloating Windows OS for those that don’t know any better (which is still a big proportion of the market).
  6. willieaames

willieaames Surrey Resident (new)

Used to be a firefox fan then switched to chrome, now I’ve switched back to Firefox.