Greenhouse for My Tomatoes

Discussion in ‘General Discussions‘ started by poleski11, 12 Mar 2014.

1. poleski11

poleski11 Surrey Resident (new)

I am ready to order a greenhouse to use for my tomatoe plants, and maybe a few other small items, but I am still debating a couple items.

From a budget standpoint, the plastic greenhouse I found on one website looks fantastic. From an appearance and durability view, I wonder if a wooden greenhouse is not a better investment. The wooden greenhouses cost almost three times more, but I suspect they will last three times longer if take care of properly.

Have any of you used one of the small plastic greenhouses for growing tomatoes. The pictures I looked at here gardencentredirect co . uk do not look as clear as the panels on the wood or metal greenhouses. Does that inhibit the growth of your tomatoes, or are they still getting plenty of light?

The other advantage I see to the wooden greenhouse is it matches the deck we have in the backyard, plus is closer to the design of the yard shed we are talking about putting up this summer. The counter argument is I am sure it faster to setup the plastic greenhouse, so I could get my tomatoes started sooner.

My experience with other PVC items is that they tend to become brittle in a couple years and begin to yellow. If that is true, then I would prefer going with their wooden greenhouse choices. I do not want to invest in a greenhouse that is only going to last me one or two seasons.

Please share your experiences with me. Right now I am leaning towards the wooden greenhouse, probalby one about 6 x 6 in size, which is much bigger than the plastic one.