Surrey History Roots of the word Guildford

Discussion in ‘Old Surrey‘ started by SurE, 19 Nov 2011.

1. SurE

SurE Surrey Resident

Origins of the Name Guildford

Does anybody know where the name Guildford comes from?

From what I’ve read, it seems no one is absolutely certain where the name Guildford originated, but there have been theories, some holding more weight that others

In the 500s Saxon settlers came to Guildford to what they then called "Gyldeforda" – The Golden Ford. Ford, being the Anglo-Saxon word for river, or a shallow place in a river where people/animals can travel through/pass

It is thought that use of the word Golden was derived from the cluster of flowers or sand along the river bed.

Others have stated the word Guild originates from the Guild its self, but the town had origins far before the Guild ever existed.

It is also possible that the name of the river had significant influence. In Anglo-Saxon time the river was named Guilou or Gil

From the books that I’ve been reading, it seems there exists uncertainties where the word Guildford originates from.

Does anyone have more insight into this?
  2. SurE

SurE Surrey Resident

Just to add..

If we go back as far as the 12th Centuray, Guildford was named "Astolat",
    but in the 15th Century there are referances to a town named "Gilford" … yes Gilford (not Guildford)

In Malory’s Morte-d’ Arthur the print references King Athurs lodgings at Astolat, which has now been renamed "Gilford"
  3. john66

john66 Surrey Resident

Good question… Not sure if there’ll ever be a straight answer to it though! I think I read somewhere that Guildford was mentioned in the Domesday book as Gildeford, so the name hasn’t much changed in the last thousand years…
  4. Mike224

Mike224 Surrey Forum Admin Staff Member

On a related note, we’ve just added "The Golden Sands Of Guildford Video" from a boat trip on the River Wey
    If you watch the first video, at the top of St Catherin’s Hill, the sun seems to make the golden sand glitter (or is that just my imagination)…​
    If I was a gambling man, I would say my money is on: Guild – Ford (Golden Sand – River Bank)​
    River_Wey_Guildford_Golden_Sand_1.jpg River_Wey_Guildford_Golden_Sand_2.jpg River_Wey_Guildford_Golden_Sand_3.jpg River_Wey_Guildford_Golden_Sand_5.jpg River_Wey_Guildford_Golden_Sand_6.jpg